Thursday, January 14, 2010

M-7

Applique fun.

Print or trace the block diagram onto the dull side of freezer paper, and cut out the "frame" as in the photo below.
Out of main block fabric, cut a 6" x 6" square.  I like to cut the fabric bigger and trim it down later because with applique there is sometimes a bit of "shrinkage".
Iron the freezer paper frame onto the right side of the fabric square.

Using the freezer paper as a guide, applique the four background fabric melons into position.
I like the "freezer paper inside" method for melons.

Carefully remove the freezer paper.
Out of background fabric, cut a 6"x 6" square.
If the freezer paper frame will still stick, iron it to the right side of the background fabric square.
If not, you'll have to retrace/reprint the block.
Cut out the inside of the frame, leaving a scant 1/4" seam allowance.  Clip the curves.

Place the background fabric square right side up on top of the appliqued main fabric section, carefully positioning the melons in relation to the frame.
Baste through all layers.

Reverse applique along the freezer paper edge.
Remove the freezer paper and trim away any excess main block fabric from the back of the block.

Lastly, applique the four main fabric melons onto the block.
M-7

8 comments:

  1. Nicely done. I love the flower showing through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to copy and save your instructions: too early in the morning to get it all but I really want to learn how to do this. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is about the same way I do it.
    Karen
    http://karensquilting.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great block! I just finished my second block (still did not published though...) Thanks for sharing, and keep us going

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just stumbledonto your blog and i'm so glad i did. I bought the Jane book a long time ago but got frustrated and put it aside. Your instructions are a great help. I'm starting from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely job on this block Anina :) Thank you for the tutorial. Elly

    ReplyDelete