Tuesday, September 28, 2010

J-5

Before I start this post I want to repeat something I have said before.
The instructions I post on this blog reflect the way I made my blocks.  This is probably not the only method you can use to make your block.  Just what worked for me.
Print or trace the block diagram onto foundation paper, number, and cut out the small center section as below.
If you use freezer paper to foundation piece, like I do, cut it out carefully and keep the rest of the diagram intact.
 Following the numbers, foundation piece the section.  Trim the seam allowances to 1/2". I trimmed mine to 1/4" but this made it a little harder later on. Note that I did not trim the section according to the diagram, just straight across.
 Print or trace the block diagram onto the dull side of freezer paper and cut out the sections as below.
Iron the sections onto the wrong side of the appropriate fabrics and trim the seam allowances to 1/4".
Sew a smaller block section to a larger section as below, lining it up carefully. Note that I did not sew into the seam allowances on either end of the seam.
Press open, pressing the seam allowance toward the LARGER block section. (I know that is not what it looks like below.)
 Repeat for all the remaining sections.
 You now have a "frame" for your block.
Turn all the inner seam allowances under 1/4" and baste.  The freezer paper on the wrong side of the fabric will give you a hard edge making it easier. Baste through the freezer paper.
Place the small block section you made at the beginning right side up on the table.  Place the larger section right side up on top of it, lining it up carefully according to the block diagram.
Baste through all layers.

Applique along the inner edge.
Remove the basting and freezer paper.
L-12

1 comment: